Reference management software also known as citation management software or personal bibliographic management is software that allows all manners of scientists, researchers and scholars to record and use citations when creating bibliographies. These programs will let you import citations from various databases and websites, build and organize bibliographies and format citations for papers. They can also save and organize PDFs, screenshots, graphs, images and other files for your research.
Why reference management softwares?
- Import citations from bibliographic databases and websites
- Gather metadata from PDF files
- Organization of citations within the reference management database
- Sharing of the reference management database or portions with colleagues
- Data interchange with other reference management software through standard metadata formats
- Produce formatted citations and bibliographies in a variety of styles
- Work with word processing software to facilitate in-text citation (e.g. Word)
Our favorite applications are:
For a small comparison, click the link below: